Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tech Tuesday: Vocabulary and Spelling City

You know that tech tool that you don't think you could survive without in the classroom? One of my favorite online resources is Vocabulary and Spelling City. I know, I know, you've heard of it before...but have you used it lately? One of the great things about VSC is that they are constantly upgrading and adding features. Having met many of the company executives personally, I can honestly say that they really care about teachers, students, and education. They strive to create a valuable resource that enhances learning and makes management of activities a snap.

Here's one of my favorite new features:
See that red circle in the middle? VSC has a new feature that allows you to search for lists based on your state's standards and your grade level. Here's a sample of what I get when I search mine:
I love how it lists the standard, then the available lists in blue.

Another one of my favorite features is the Assignments. I created assignments all year last year for my kids and it was super easy. Best of all, you can easily differentiate instruction by assigning different tasks to specific groups of students. Here's a quick overview of the assignments feature:


Of course VSC has lots of great features that you can use for free, but the premium membership is well worth the cost. I've been using Vocabulary and Spelling City for years and can't imagine not having it. 

How about you? Do you have a favorite tech tool that you just can't imagine having to go without?  


2 comments:

  1. My students love it! I was so excited when they came out with their apps this past year. I had a few iPads that my class could use, and loved hearing when a student would tell me they downloaded it on their devices at home. You know something is good when students ask you if they can work on spelling or vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farrah, Thanks for the review. You might want to tell your readers that this and next week, VocabularySpellingCity is offering a free 30 days trial of its premium service to everyone who signs up.

    The premium service includes:
    - vocabulary and writing
    - records for accountability
    - assignments for differentiated learning

    ReplyDelete