Friday, May 24, 2013

An Ending

The close of the school year is upon us, and it is definitely bittersweet. I'm so excited to get to spend time with my family this summer, and I'm looking forward to teaching and attending professional development conferences. But at the same time, I'm sad to see the end of such a great year.

I will really miss the daily conversations, activities, and laughs that were so common this year with my group. I will miss seeing their curious faces and the excited looks on their faces when we'd learn something particularly fun. I will miss their work ethic and determination, and their encouragement.

With this sadness comes excitement, though, at knowing that next year brings a fresh start for us. That's one of the great things about teaching. We get to start over each August!

As I write this post I'm reminded of a line from my favorite book series, The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan. "There are no endings, and will never be endings, to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was AN ending."

This is my favorite line in the series. It reminds me that with each ending brings about a new beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Endings and new beginnings follow the natural cycle of the seasons. In nature 'new beginnings' start in Spring whereas for teachers our new beginnings start in the Autumn with our new classes.

    ReplyDelete