Saturday, January 28, 2012

Museum Box

What's a Museum Box? This FREE virtual display box is a presentation tool that allows students to incorporate text, images, videos, links, and pictures. Each of the 8 sections of the box are cubes that unfold to have 6 faces:


To each face you can add text, pictures, links, videos, sounds, or even files:


There are 3 layers to each box, which means a total of 24 cubes:
So, how can you use it? I plan on introducing it to my class on Digital Learning Day, which is Wednesday, February 1. As a class, we'll make 1 museum box, filling the first 8 cubes. (We'll just do one level this time). I have 24 students, so I'll divide them into groups of 3 and each group will have one cube from our box to work on. Our topic will be Chapter 8 in our state history book, which covers The Great Depression, New Deal, and World War 2. (I know...quite a lot for one chapter). Each of the 8 groups will have a topic from our chapter to research and fill their "cube" with information to share. I haven't decided yet if I'll assign the topic or subtopic or let them choose for themselves. I tend to let them choose for themselves because it is highly motivating, but I suspect they'll be motivated regardless because of this awesome new tool.

Once we're finished, I'll post it here as an example. This is a really great tool for students and I think it will be easy for them to use. The layout and large graphics will make it very kid-friendly.

Have you used it? Are you planning to? If so, drop me a line and share! I'd love to see how others are using Museum Box!

5 comments:

  1. When we used Museum Box a couple of months ago, there were plenty of glitches, so I emailed the creators of it. They were very good at responding in a timely manner and acknowledged that there were indeed some issues that needed to be worked out since it's an England-based website. I would love it if you would let me know if the glitches have been fixed. The contact man indicated that it would take a little bit of time.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, Kris. I'll be glad to let you know how it goes! We're starting on Wednesday, so maybe by Friday we'll be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been considering using Museum Box for a unit on WWI. I have also heard that it is buggy, does not always save, and frustrates students.

    I would also like to know if you have a positive or negative experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received an email from a teacher who used it with her students. They had pretty good luck with it; there were still a few bugs but from her list of pros/cons, they were small issues. I think I put her email in the trash. If I can find it, I copy and paste it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike,
    When my class used it, we had a good overall experience. The biggest complaint my students had was that the colors they used to create text didn't always show up correctly. You can read more about my pros and cons in my Museum Box Update post:
    MuseumBoxUpdate

    Kris, I was the teacher that emailed you :)

    ReplyDelete